by Ritu Mediratta
The International Indian Film Awards (IIFA) is one of India’s most talked about Bollywood award shows, and this year, on June 25, the 17th annual IIFA 2016 was held in Madrid, Spain. The period film “Bajirao Mastani“ took home the top honors with 13 wins, including Best Actor (Female) and Best Actor (Male) trophies for Deepika Padukone and Ranveer Singh.
“Bajirao Mastani” is a 2015 Indian epic historical romance film directed by Sanjay Leela Bhansali, who also composed the music of the film. It is jointly produced by Bhansali and Eros International. The film stars Ranveer Singh as Bajirao and Deepika Padukone as Mastani, with Priyanka Chopra playing Bajirao’s first wife Kashibai. The film grossed over $52 million at the box office, making it one of the highest grossing Indian films of all time. It was also a critical success, receiving several accolades at various award ceremonies across India.
Top 5 reasons on why you can’t afford to miss this film:
- Ranveer As Peshwa Bajirao: Singh has proven his acting skills time and time again, with roles in “Goliyon Ki Rasleela Ramleela,” “Gunday,” “Lootera“ and more, but for Bhansali’s latest work of art, he has pushed himself to extremes. Shaving his head and stepping into Bajirao’s shoes, the actor plays quite an intense role that’s in stark contrast to the fun-loving persona the public knows him for.
- Priyanka Chopra as Kashibai: While Chopra is currently making waves as the tough FBI agent in the US with her new show “Quantico,” her role in “Bajirao Mastani” is, instead, the picture perfect wife who idolizes her husband. It is interesting to see the otherwise strong-willed Priyanka we’ve all come to know in this type of this role.
- Deepika Padukone as Mastani: Padukone manages to look both stunning and delicate in this movie, as she plays the role of Mastani, Bajirao’s love.
- Cinematography: “Bajirao Mastani‘s” most outstanding star is its cinematography. Every visual resembles a grand painting. Courts with shadows and chandeliers, chambers gleaming with mirrors, skies blushing with passion — it’s all a lavish treat that captivates the eyes.
- Sanjay Leela Bhansali: The director of the movie is famous for his detailed work on his subjects and his grand sets, whether it is a period drama or a contemporary love story. His previous movie, “Ramleela,” also starred Padukone and Singh, and it was similarly successful at the box office.
“Bajirao Mastani” is currently available to watch online with XFINITY.